Lucie,
Thanks for the great introduction.

All,
That pretty much does sum it up, a correction though, I do not own the company, but I am the Executive Director in VT (it was started by Burr Warne, who has worked in online education for over a decade).  I joined last year after graduating with a M.Ed from UVM and was fortunate to be in the right place at the right time and heard Burr speak about his vision (ironically it was very close to the original topic of my thesis, so it was a good post-graduation fit).

We provide free online classrooms for any teachers that want them, we also have free tutorials and teachers are encouraged to contact me or our expert Moodler, Jim Gates, for assistance.  Our entire network is built upon Moodle, which we also utilize to deliver professional development courses (we hope to introduce another catalog this summer).  Revenue from the course sales helps us provide the free services.

In Vermont I have been focused on working with our partners (currently two districts in Chittenden County) who have sites hosted by us, and expanding our relationships throughout the state.  I'm involved in a number of very exciting projects and have provided on-site training sessions all over Vermont.

What I am most excited about is aggregating the unmet demand across the state in our high schools and leveling the playing field of educational opportunities.  When I went to Lake Region I didn't have the same opportunities as my peers in Burlington or even Lyndonville.  I didn't take AP computer science, but it wasn't because I didn't want to (my opportunities were limited by my local catalog--I imagine that this is the same elsewhere, but it's not the fault of our schools!).  Wouldn't it be great if there was an online catalog of courses taught by Vermont teachers that augmented the core curriculum of our small and rural high schools?  This was tried a number of years ago through synchronous teleconferencing for AP courses, but the effort fell by the wayside.  I'd like to give it a go again, but with a twist.  Through our network it's possible to 'export' education.  Meaning that we can provide these opportunities to students in other states (where this same need is unmet), but return wages to Vermont teachers.  We can cut costs, but increase opportunities (think of it as catering to the Long Tail of education).

I just submitted a grant that would let us pilot such a program at no cost to any district, school or student (and if I don't get it this time, I am definitely trying again).  I'm curious what you all think about our business and my ideas about online courses for high school students (many of you already provide some opportunities through VHS, so it certainly isn't an new idea, just a new model).  I'm young, and maybe a bit ignorant as well; I want to rock the boat, but I don't want it to capsize (or to cause a mutiny).  Your feedback and comments are greatly appreciated.

I really appreciate being on this listserv, I do treat it as a privilege (and I'm better for being on it and being able to read the great discussions you've all had---there have been some really great ones lately).  Sorry for the long email, I chalk it up to a product of working from home.

Sincerely,

-Joe