Discrimination Against Blacks Linked To Dehumanization, Study Finds

Crude historical depictions of African Americans as ape-like may have
disappeared from mainstream U.S. culture, but new research reveals
that many Americans subconsciously associate blacks with apes.

ScienceDaily (Feb. 8, 2008) — Crude historical depictions of African
Americans as ape-like may have disappeared from mainstream U.S.
culture, but research presented in a new paper by psychologists at
Stanford, Pennsylvania State University and the University of
California-Berkeley reveals that many Americans subconsciously
associate blacks with apes.

In addition, the findings show that society is more likely to condone
violence against black criminal suspects as a result of its broader
inability to accept African Americans as fully human, according to the
researchers.

Co-author Jennifer Eberhardt, a Stanford associate professor of
psychology who is black, said she was shocked by the results,
particularly since they involved subjects born after Jim Crow and the
civil rights movement. "This was actually some of the most depressing
work I have done," she said. "This shook me up. You have suspicions
when you do the work—intuitions—you have a hunch. But it was hard to
prepare for how strong [the black-ape association] was—how we were
able to pick it up every time."

The paper, "Not Yet Human: Implicit Knowledge, Historical
Dehumanization and Contemporary Consequences," is the result of a
series of six previously unpublished studies conducted by Eberhardt,
Pennsylvania State University psychologist Phillip Atiba Goff (the
lead author and a former student of Eberhardt's) and Matthew C.
Jackson and Melissa J. Williams, graduate students at Penn State and
Berkeley, respectively. The paper is scheduled to appear Feb. 7 in the
Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, which is published by
the American Psychological Association.

The research took place over six years at Stanford and Penn State
under Eberhardt's supervision. It involved mostly white male
undergraduates. In a series of studies that subliminally flashed black
or white male faces on a screen for a fraction of a second to "prime"
the students, researchers found subjects could identify blurry ape
drawings much faster after they were primed with black faces than with
white faces.

The researchers consistently discovered a black-ape association even
if the young adults said they knew nothing about its historical
connotations. The connection was made only with African American
faces; the paper's third study failed to find an ape association with
other non-white groups, such as Asians. Despite such race-specific
findings, the researchers stressed that dehumanization and animal
imagery have been used for centuries to justify violence against many
oppressed groups.

"Despite widespread opposition to racism, bias remains with us,"
Eberhardt said. "African Americans are still dehumanized; we're still
associated with apes in this country. That association can lead people
to endorse the beating of black suspects by police officers, and I
think it has lots of other consequences that we have yet to uncover."

Historical background

Scientific racism in the United States was graphically promoted in a
mid-19th-century book by Josiah C. Nott and George Robins Gliddon
titled Types of Mankind, which used misleading illustrations to
suggest that "Negroes" ranked between "Greeks" and chimpanzees. "When
we have a history like that in this country, I don't know how much of
that goes away completely, especially to the extent that we are still
dealing with severe racial inequality, which fuels and maintains those
associations in ways that people are unaware," Eberhardt said.

Although such grotesque characterizations of African Americans have
largely disappeared from mainstream U.S. society, Eberhardt noted that
science education could be partly responsible for reinforcing the view
that blacks are less evolved than whites. An iconic 1970 illustration,
"March of Progress," published in the Time-Life book Early Man,
depicts evolution beginning with a chimpanzee and ending with a white
man. "It's a legacy of our past that the endpoint of evolution is a
white man," Eberhardt said. "I don't think it's intentional, but when
people learn about human evolution, they walk away with a notion that
people of African descent are closer to apes than people of European
descent. When people think of a civilized person, a white man comes to
mind."

Consequences of socially endorsed violence

In the paper's fifth study, the researchers subliminally primed 115
white male undergraduates with words associated with either apes (such
as "monkey," "chimp," "gorilla") or big cats (such as "lion," "tiger,"
"panther"). The latter was used as a control because both images are
associated with violence and Africa, Eberhardt said. The subjects then
watched a two-minute video clip, similar to the television program
COPS, depicting several police officers violently beating a man of
undetermined race. A mugshot of either a white or a black man was
shown at the beginning of the clip to indicate who was being beaten,
with a description conveying that, although described by his family as
"a loving husband and father," the suspect had a serious criminal
record and may have been high on drugs at the time of his arrest.

The students were then asked to rate how justified the beating was.
Participants who believed the suspect was white were no more likely to
condone the beating when they were primed with either ape or big cat
words, Eberhardt said. But those who thought the suspect was black
were more likely to justify the beating if they had been primed with
ape words than with big cat words. "Taken together, this suggests that
implicit knowledge of a Black-ape association led to marked
differences in participants' judgments of Black criminal suspects,"
the researchers write.

According to the paper's authors, this link has devastating
consequences for African Americans because it "alters visual
perception and attention, and it increases endorsement of violence
against black suspects." For example, the paper's sixth study showed
that in hundreds of news stories from 1979 to 1999 in the Philadelphia
Inquirer, African Americans convicted of capital crimes were about
four times more likely than whites convicted of capital crimes to be
described with ape-relevant language, such as "barbaric," "beast,"
"brute," "savage" and "wild." "Those who are implicitly portrayed as
more ape-like in these articles are more likely to be executed by the
state than those who are not," the researchers write.

The way forward

Despite the paper's findings, Eberhardt said she is optimistic about
the future. "This work isn't arguing that there hasn't been any
progress made or that we are living in the same society that existed
in the 19th century," she said. "We have made a lot of progress on
race issues, but we should recognize that racial bias isn't dead. We
still need to be aware of that and aware of all the different ways
[racism] can affect us, despite our intentions and motivations to be
egalitarian. We still have work to do."

For Eberhardt, two stories of race exist in America. "One is about the
disappearance of bias—that it's no longer with us," she said. "But the
other is about the transformation of bias. It's not the egregious bias
anymore, but it's modern bias, subtle bias." With both of these
stories, she said, there is an understanding that society has moved
beyond the historic battles centered around race. "We want to argue,
with this work, that there is one old race battle that we're still
fighting," she said. "That is the battle for blacks to be recognized
as fully human."

This research was supported by a Stanford University Dean's Award to
Jennifer Eberhardt.

Adapted from materials provided by Stanford University.