On Feb 4, 2008, at 12:27 PM, Evan Osler wrote:

> It is abundantly clear to me that a full race setup is needed to
> compete in one of these events, and I dont think I can justify
> purchasing one (especially since I can continue to use my
> comparatively heavy setup as an excuse for my performance). Even
> with my Dynafit bindings, I'd still say Sheffy's skis combined
> weighed less than one of my skis, and his poles combined weighed
> less than one of my poles. Thus I'm relegated to competing against
> my own times from previous years, which I did okay (I was shooting
> for a 15 minute improvement, ended up with a ~12 minute improvement).

This seems like a nicely controlled experiment: essentially, you
changed little except bindings.

Result: Twelve minutes improved over how long (time)? What percentage
improvement is that? Is it a significant difference, or one that can
be explained equally well by snow conditions and or physical
conditioning?

Assuming it's say, a 2% improvement, then Extrapolating these results
to lighter poles/boots/skis -- what does that add up to? 8-10% maybe?
Does that justify the expense?

For me, considering I have a 0% chance of winning, even a 15%
improvement results in 0% chance of winning. Not worth switching.

I might have even considered entering, had I known it was coming up.
I got to MRG yesterday, I had no idea what all that demo booth stuff
was for.

I have a another question for EO and Sheffy, filed under the
"Dynafit" thread

| Academic Computing Services       __0__                             |
| Room 407 Lafayette Building      / \ | \                            |
| University of Vermont              \77                              |
| Voice:802-656-1254 FAX:802-???-????  vv                             |
| aim:goim?screenname=maddogskideath      http://www.uvm.edu/~waw/    |