The surprise 5.1 inches of snow at the house this morning prompted me head up to Bolton for some turns before work.  The snow shut off at the house by probably 7:00 A.M. or so, and around 8:30 A.M. when I was heading up to the mountain, it was sprinkling rain.  The sprinkles continued up the access road, but had stopped when I got up to the village.  However, some rain started up again on my first lift ride and run; there was light rain for probably the first half hour that I was on the mountain (9:00 A.M. – 9:30 A.M.).  Up near the Vista summit (elevation 3,150’) the rain was freezing and creating a slight glaze.  After that first half hour however, the precipitation stopped and I didn’t see anything more beyond that.  I hadn’t actually planned to ski based on the forecast, so I didn’t have time to earn any turns before the lifts opened, but I still probed around for some snow depth measurements on my descents.  This snowfall event didn’t seem to be too elevation-dependent, since we received 5.1 inches down at the house, and the mountain only reported 6 inches.  I did a few checks at various elevations on the main mountain, and found mostly 5-inch readings for new snow depth in undisturbed locations, although that was probably after a little compaction from the rain showers.

As far as the skiing goes, most of the groomed runs were a few inches of new snow over the corduroy.  In the ungroomed areas it was a sweet little powder day with 5 to 6 inches of moderately dense snow that did a nice job of keeping you afloat.   I took my Tele skis out again this morning and remembered my knee pads for once, so I definitely had a knee-draggin’ good time blasting through the powder.  In areas where there was a Crème Brûlée-style crust, it was a very fun sensation slicing through it with a knee.  On that note I’d say that the bit of rain didn’t seem to hamper the powder skiing too much.  There was actually more crust in the higher elevations, which may have seen a bit more rain and colder temperatures, but even there it was easily sliced and diced.  I’m not sure how things will change when the temperatures drop.  If the lower mountain went above freezing (which I’m guessing it did), there may actually be more crust there when the temperatures come down.  But, I just checked the NWS forecast for the northern Greens and they have opportunities for snow every day out through Sunday.  Things are looking very good this week for snow, in line with what Scott said in his post.  The Mansfield stake was at 65 inches as of yesterday’s reading, plus whatever added to it today.  Our house stake is at 18 inches as well after today’s snowfall.  Today’s new snow will no doubt settle a bit, but that’s still a decent place to be with a bunch of snowfall on the way.

Below I’ve pasted in some of the ski resort snowfall totals I found from this morning (listed roughly north to south).  Nobody got a ton of snow, but the accumulations trend this time was interesting with a bit of fall off at the far north and south ends of the state:

Jay Peak:  3 inches
Burke:  3 inches
Smugg’s:  4 inches
Stowe:  5 inches
Bolton:  6 inches
Mad River:  6 inches
Sugarbush:  3 inches
Middlebury:  4 inches
Killington:  5 inches
Okemo:  4 inches
Bromley:  2 inches
Magic:  2 inches
Stratton:  2 inches
Mount Snow:  2 inches

P.S. - Timberline was not running and the trails were not touched by the time I left at around 10:30 A.M.  I’m not sure if they are going to run it at all today, but it would be an especially nice place for earned turns since there wasn’t much elevation-dependence with the accumulations.  Barring any “crustification” issues with temperature changes, the turns should be nice.

J.Spin