February 1st, 2008:  2:00 P.M. update from Waterbury, VT.

New Snow:  1.3 inches

Temperature:  26.2 F

Humidity:  86%

Barometer:  29.09 in Hg

Wind:  ~5 MPH

Sky:  Snow/Sleet

Cumulative storm total:  1.3 inches

Current snow at the stake:  13 inches

Season snowfall total:  114.9 inches

As is often the case, I was treated to some dramatic changes in the weather on my trip from Burlington to Waterbury.  As I mentioned in my last update, I heard the first ticks of sleet on the window of my office in Burlington (elevation 380í) at 1:06 P.M.  By the time I got in my car about 15 minutes later, the precipitation was mostly freezing rain, or perhaps even just regular rain?  It was hard to tell because the surfaces of the walkways and parking lots were treated, but the accumulation of snow on my car that had been there all morning (ambient temperature) was generally slushy.  It may have been the rain mixing with the snow that was already present on the car that created the slush, but new drops that fell on my windshield werenít freezing, and I hadnít gotten the heater going yet.  It didnít even really feel like winter precipitation, more like spring precipitation.  With regard to snow, Iíd say the UVM campus area picked up abut ĺ of an inch of new snow before the changeover to mixed precipitation.  The driving in the Burlington area featured slushy roads at that point, and the slush got a little more substantial when I hit the high point of I-89 in Williston (elevation 620í) and all the drivers slowed down a bit.  Down in Richmond at the I-89 exit (elevation 300í), I found that the precipitation was essentially the same, although there appeared to be the faintest hint of snowfall in the precipitation.  I was surprised at how little snow there was on the ground in Richmond, and Iíd say they may have even gotten less accumulation than Burlington.  Richmond also had very little snowpack on the ground in general.  I got my first taste of what was to come at around Jonesville (elevation 320í) where there started to be a bit more sleet in the rainy mix.  I also could see up the Winooski Valley where Iíd be heading, and there was a wall of white that I suspected might be snow.  By the time I got to the town of Bolton (elevation 340í) winter had returned, and the precipitation was mixed sleet and snow.  Through Bolton flats, the wind was really whipping up the snow and there were six inches on the road in places because of drifting.  The temperature was obviously below freezing there because the snow was powdery and blowing everywhere.  The precipitation had changed over to mostly snow again by that point, although there was still sleet in there.  By the time I got to my house, sleet was mixing in more.  My wife arrived back at the house just before I did, and said it was mostly snow in Morrisville, but it was starting to change over to sleet as well.  She said that observation was from around 1:00 P.M.  I measured the snow on the snowboard when I got to the house around 2:00 P.M., and there was already a thin layer of sleet accumulating on top of the snow, so there may have been a little more depth than the 1.3 inches at one point, but thatís where the accumulation stands for now.

J.Spin

Climb to the top of the charts!†Play the word scramble challenge with star power. Play now! - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - SkiVt-L is brought to you by the University of Vermont.