Of course, if you start early enough in the morning, you could do this without all the work of convincing AIG that they really ought to start sponsoring Randonee races.  "Sponsor random races?  Why would we want to do that?  We hold the Stowe Derby every year."  5am at the dirtbag lot ought to be a plenty early start to beat the quad up the mountain.

It does sound like a nice course for a proper race, though, and there would be tons of options for changes from year to year.  You could do a version that starts or ends at Smuggs, Underhill, or Nebraska notch.  Whether it would end up looking more like the MRG/SB race or more like the race around the Hump, it still would make a fine event.

- Patrick

________________________________

From: Vermont Skiing Discussion and Snow Reports on behalf of Peter Wadsworth
Sent: Tue 2/5/2008 5:05 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [SKIVT-L] Race ideas? (wuz: MRG/Sugarbush Ski Mountaineering Race)

At the awards ceremony after the MRV race the organizer and several others were talking about other races in the East, whether real or imaginary.

Think we could convince Stowe to host a race ever?

It could have some real vertical and be a bit more "bc" than other resort races.

How about start at the Quad base - skin up Nosedive - continue on the Toll Road all the way to the top of The Nose - descend back down from The Nose and onto The Bruce - near the bottom of the Bruce hang a right up the Overland( Underhill?) Trail, Hang a left under Dewey and traverse the Skytop - Descend the Steeple and finally skate/pole your way all the way to the Matterhorn Bar for the awards ceremony.

I think it's less than 11miles, ~3,400+ feet of skinning, and ~4,000+ feet of descending.  This course wouldn't interfere with normal resort operations much, wouldn't clog up the base lodge during the day, could highlight some cool terrain like the MRV race, could have a shortened course for the Rec division (no skytop/steeple)....

Does this sound fun to anyone else?

Peter