Offering religious and spiritual materials makes so much sense to me.  And it makes even more sense when you consider the growing body of material on alternative healing and comprehensive medicine.

Our "western" medicine - here in the US - is great at diagnosing and treating symptoms.  Whenever I heard about someone actually *healing*, they have typically used religion, spiritualiy, or some sort of emotional or mental healing therapy along with the "regular" medical treatments they are receiving.

We - as people - are not a collection of body parts, symptoms, and malfunctioning systems.  We are energetic and spiritual beings.  Wholistic medicine would include spiritual healing.

Yes - it would be impossible to build a print collection that is totally comprehensive.  If you are a consumer health library, however, you can find out the major religions represented in your community - and build your print collection based on that information.  You can also offer to assist people with their search on the internet or databases.

Ann Kucera, MLS
Reference Librarian
Baker College of Auburn Hills
248 276-8223