From: Mayer, Prof. William
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2008 8:52 AM
To: !Adjunct_Faculty; !Employee_Faculty_Staff_Admin; !Oakview; !Students
Subject: For Dog Owners

I apologize for the mass e-mail, particularly to those that are not dog owners.  I am writing to spread the word of the dangers of xylitol to dogs.  Xylitol is a sweetener found in many sugarless gums and some other sweet candies.

This past week, my 8 year-old yellow lab got to a pack of gum that contained xylitol.  Xylitol caused her liver enzymes to spike and from there her body began to shut down.  We had to put her to sleep Sunday evening.  Although we have always been aware of the dangers of chocolate to dogs, we were unaware of this danger.  Aspen was a dog with spirit and certainly liked to get into things.  Had we known the dangers, we may not have bought that gum, or left it in a more secure place, or acted more quickly when we realized that she swallowed it.

Again, I apologize for the form of mass communication.  However, if this e-mail can prevent having another family from going through what we have had to go through then it is worth it.

William F. Mayer, Psy.D.
Visiting Assistant Professor
Sacred Heart University
Department of Psychology