We didn't get any rain here in Waterbury as far as I can tell - we definitely saw some sleet mix in with the snow (E was off from school and confirmed that).  But, I spent plenty of time throwing around the new snow this evening and it was quite dry.  It should ski quite well.  Details below:

February 13th, 2008:  7:00 P.M. update from Waterbury, VT.

New Snow:  3.1 inches

Liquid Equivalent:  0.55 inches

Ratio:  5.6 to 1

Snow Density:  17.7%  H2O

Temperature:  29.8 F

Humidity:  98%

Barometer:  28.44 in Hg

Wind:  Calm MPH

Sky:  Light Snow

Cumulative storm snow total:  5.8 inches

Cumulative storm liquid total:  0.84 inches

Current snow at the stake:  30 inches

Season snowfall total:  153.3 inches

I had to go and run the snow thrower through the driveway after my measurements, but as of 7:00 P.M. we were at 5.8 inches for this event.  Based on the density of the snow, there had to be some sleet in there (and of course my wife told me that some mixed in during the day) but it must have been very dry and well mixed in with the snow because I couldn’t find it.  The snow is somehow quite fluffy.  I brought my ice scraper out to the snowboard, expecting the potential for a nasty ice layer in there, but the snow slid off easily the way dry powder always does.  The yard snowpack is at 30 inches now, and my 30 inch stake is just barely poking out of the snow.  I walked around the yard and probed the depth in various places, and that seems to be on par with the rest of open areas.  However, I probed some of the more sheltered areas and the snowpack is close to 40 inches.  An additional item of note is that there’s already been another tenth of an inch of accumulation on the snowboard, bringing us to 153.4 inches of accumulations on the season… and tying our accumulation from all of last season.  To think that it’s only mid February and there are still 2 to 3 months of potential snowfall left is pretty amazing.

J.Spin

Shed those extra pounds with MSN and The Biggest Loser! Learn more. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - SkiVt-L is brought to you by the University of Vermont.