When being interviewed, I always try to mention the information I think is
most important first, including mentioning the roles played by hospital and
public libraries (and librarians), as they often get more questions from the
public than academic libraries do.  I also always mention MedlinePlus and the
great resources provided on MLANET, how to evaluate web sites, etc. and I
talk about how important it is for people to talk to their health
professionals.  However, the only information used in my entire CNN interview
of over 20 minutes was the example of my nephew's cat scratch fever, which
happened nearly 15 years ago (which I emphasized to the reporter), and the
mention of MedlinePlus.  I know Jan Guthrie and respect her as well, although
I would never have mentioned her or any "for fee" researcher (I have no idea
how the reporter found her).

Lessons I've learned from the excellent media training provided for MLA Board
members, and from doing several interviews, include that we have very little
control over what questions will be asked and what types of information we'll
be able to give (since the reporters often control their interviews very
well, cut you off when they want, etc.), and we have no control over what
information actually gets included in the final story.  I'm assertive in
providing the information I think is the most important and I try to work it
into the conversation as quickly as possible since I don't know how long the
interviews will be, but after that, it's up to the reporter to write his or
her story.

Hopefully, reporters writing future stories will include the information
provided about the important role that hospital, public and academic
librarians play in helping the public to find good health information.

Mary

Mary Ryan
MLA President-Elect