From: telenaut <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2008 8:16:16 AM
Subject: Re: [SKIVT-L] Freaky Monday Weather

Mark P. Renson wrote on 2/19/08 7:56 AM:

Well, then where 'da h*ll are 'da pics?

Some might say the river required too much attention to be pulling out your camera at any time.
Feh. Too foggy. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

I got pool rolling tonight and I need inspiration.  My kayak and paddle are packed in my truck, ready for some after work Route 128 h*ll and then rolling in the pool.

How’s this? I was glad yesterday for every minute I’ve ever spent practicing my roll. They felt automatic, which is exactly how you want ‘em when the water is non-stop and when there’s that cold-water brain slushiness you’ve got to factor into every second past the first one-one thousand two-one thousand spent underwater.

Got some other roll inspiration Sunday night. Saw a film about a crazy guy with a folding kayak. Doesn’t own a car. Just takes the bus to wherever he paddles (no need for car shuttles). At first he just seems like a nut, but as you see more and more of him you realize he’s a yoga guru. Went to Greenland to study with the Inuits, who do a lot of slack-rope roll training. Watched him do things you wouldn’t think possible.

Then you saw him back in his boat, talking about how he likes to go out and just roll all day and call it a good day of kayaking. He was doing—not hand rolls; hand rolls are no big deal—he was doing “nothing rolls.” Hands at his side, he would just twist and contort and, somehow, slowly, emerge from the water. Incredible.

--an