Hi Alice,

It is possible that "cooking" your samples could affect the organic
matter, killing off the fresh marine organic matter and leaving
behind resistant stuff like the terrestrial organic matter.  Thus, I
guess it could cause the d13C to decrease in the worse case scenario.
Why don't you throw a bit of Saanich Bulk sediment into the oven and
do the same thing.  See if you can change the d13C and d15N.

Have fun,
Jennifer

--
Jennifer McKay
Post-doctoral Researcher

GEOTOP: 514-987-4080
Office: 514-987-3000 (1718)
Lab: 514-987-3000 (7028)
Fax: 514-987-3635

E-mail: [log in to unmask] (or [log in to unmask])