Melissa, Remember that the input from the EA goes to a three way valve in
the Conflo before going to the open split.  In dilution mode, the three
way valve is supposed to direct the major portion of the EA flow out a
1/16 inch short length of stainless steel tubing.  If this was blocked for
some reason, this would severely restrict the flow coming from the EA. You
should be able to stick a flow meter on the short length of tubing, and
check the flow.  With the diluter off, you should see no flow, but with it
on you should see about 80% of the total flow at this port.
        Good luck!

William Rugh, Chemist
Integrated Stable Isotope Research Facility
US EPA, NHEERL
Western Ecology Division
200 SW 35th St.
Corvallis, OR 97333
Office phone: (541) 754-4604
Lab phone:     (541) 754-4515

Melissa Bautista <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Stable Isotope Geochemistry <[log in to unmask]>
03/27/2008 09:10 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
[ISOGEOCHEM] EA carrier flow

Dear Isogeochemists,

This is in regards to a change in carrier flow rate from our Flash EA 1112

to a Conflo III.
The carrier flow is set at 100ml/min. However, when the He dilution
capillary is dropped in, the flow rate drops to c. 58ml/min. I have
checked
the heights of the capillaries in the open split and they are positioned
correctly according to the manual. Can anyone tell me why this happens?

Thank you

Melissa Bautista
Southern Cross University
Lismore NSW Australia