Hello Heather,

The white chalky material is ceramobond from Aremco (
It comes with a thinner also (ask the customer rep. about it) to thin out
the bonding agent when it dries out a little.

The company also sells a high temp ceramic adhesive and ceramic-metal

Regarding drilling the broken thermocouple housing out, the only caveat
would be not to break the heating element in the process.
Is it possible to insert another ceramic housing next to the old one?

It is cheaper to order the thermocouple straight from Thermo. it costs $193
but the lead time is 4-6weeks, since it ships from Germany.

I looked into buying the Pt and Pt-10%Rh from Omega, but it turned out that
it will cost more than $193, add to it the cost of the 2-hole ceramic

I have a part#  for the thermocouple in the office. E-mail back if you need


Nabil Saad
Kinemed, Inc

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 12:52 PM, Heather Brant <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>  Dear Isogeochem users,
> This e-mail concerns a repair we would like to make on our Finnigan TC/EA.
> The ceramic tube that holds the thermocouple for our furnace broke and we
> would like to replace it (along with the ceramic thermocouple that fits
> inside it). Unfortunately, it looks as if the larger tube is glued into a
> notch drilled in the side of the white ceramic 2-piece collar that holds our
> furnace element in place.
> We were thinking about drilling out the broken tube and replacing it with
> a new one. Has anyone done this?
> If so, does anyone know about the glue or epoxy (chalky white substance)
> that binds the outer tube to the collar?  What binding agent should we use
> and where can we get it?
> Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
> Cheers,
> Heather Brant
> Stable Isotope Lab
> Savannah River Ecology Lab
> ------------------------------
> How well do you know your celebrity gossip? Talk celebrity smackdowns
> here. <>