Hello Heather,

The white chalky material is ceramobond from Aremco (http://www.aremco.com). It comes with a thinner also (ask the customer rep. about it) to thin out the bonding agent when it dries out a little.

The company also sells a high temp ceramic adhesive and ceramic-metal adhesive.

Regarding drilling the broken thermocouple housing out, the only caveat would be not to break the heating element in the process.
Is it possible to insert another ceramic housing next to the old one?

It is cheaper to order the thermocouple straight from Thermo. it costs $193 but the lead time is 4-6weeks, since it ships from Germany.

I looked into buying the Pt and Pt-10%Rh from Omega, but it turned out that it will cost more than $193, add to it the cost of the 2-hole ceramic sleeve.

I have a part#  for the thermocouple in the office. E-mail back if you need it.

Regards,

Nabil Saad
Kinemed, Inc