Has anyone had experience with building their own oxidation reactors with smaller ID tubing to improve their chromatography during the combustion process?  I know how much of a pain it is to change these reactors, and while a smaller ID/OD tubing will probably increase the chances of breakages during replacement (not to mention potentially decrease the life span of the reactor), for certain types of analyses the performance gain may make up for it.

Also, is there a reason most users go with the 0.1 mm wires instead of something a little thinner (say 0.05mm) to increase the packing efficiency (and thereby reduce dead volume) and also surface area?

I have to admit that this is the first time I’ve ever had to purchase reactors from Thermo (I inherited a stock from the previous technician) and I actually laughed at the customer service rep who gave me the price over the phone…

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Michael D. Kubo

NASA Ames Research Center