Hello Michael,

The reason most users go with  the 0.1mm wires, at least for Cu is because once oxidized it becomes brittle. Any thinner Cu wire will
not hold for long.

Regarding the sharper peaks question, try using the continuous fused silicas capillary approach (Keith Goodman, "Hardware Modifications to an Isotope Ratio Mass Spectrometer Continuous-Flow Interface Yielding Improved Signal, Resolution, and Maintenance", Anal. Chem. 1998; 70(5), pp. 833-837).

I have used it and it works well, but you need to make sure not to disturb the furnace, as the fused silica will be suspended at 850C with no polyimide coating around it (very brittle!!)

Regards,

Nabil Saad
Kinemed, Inc.