From: Stable Isotope Geochemistry [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Paul Eby
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 5:12 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ISOGEOCHEM] DIY Oxidation Reactor -- Better Chromatography with Smaller Tubes?

Mike,

You need not reduce your tubing OD. With a proper zero volume fitting, it can be any size you desire without affecting the chromatography. We have built our ovens around a 1/8" OD ceramic tube (0.5mm ID) and no longer worry about breaking tubes as we tighten fittings.

Also, I've often wondered though if the peak broadening due to ovens isn't more due to the wire in the tube than the ID of the tube. Does the wire cause broadening by disrupting laminar flow?

Paul Eby
University of Victoria