Dear All,

I have been measuring carbon and nitrogen isotope ratios using my Delta Plus IRMS (Thermo) interfaced with a Flash elemetal analyser (EA1112) through Conflo III.  Recently, I noticed an unique problem.  The two reference gas injections used to give me a std dev. better than 0.06 permill. But now, the std dev are pretty bad.  I tried tightening the capillery ferules at the Conflow interface.  The areas of masses 44, 45 and 46 are not very bad, they are not exactly same!  Can this small change in area cause a huge shift in std dev of the isotope measurements?  Has anyone encountered a similar problem?  Please can you suggest a solution to this?

Thanks and regards,
Shesha  Dr. M.S. SheshshayeeAssociate ProfessorDepartment of Crop PhysiologyUniversity of Agricultural SciencesGKVK Campus, Bangalore 560 065INDIAPh(W): +91-80-2362 0737Ph(H): +91-80-2363 6414Mobile: 93425 90578
Education: Are exams worrying you all the day long? Write to MSN education experts for help.
http://education.in.msn.com/