On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 8:17 PM, Benjamin Kulas <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 4:42 PM, Evan Osler <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > ...which also caused my skins to freeze nicely (skinsdirect.com has so
> > far left me unimpressed, let's just say that).
>

> You mean Climbing Skins Direct <https://www.climbingskinsdirect.com/>, I
> presume.
>
> Are yours of the post-DWR generation?
>
> I purchased a pair in the Fall. They glopped up rather badly my first time
> out--December 23rd's Steeple Chase--but so did everybody else's, excepting
> Denis's Zardozinated skins. Since then I've kept a stick of the BD
> Glopstopper in my pack. I rub it on before leaving the trailhead, and rub it
> on again during longer stops, e.g., lunch. Since then they've been fine,
> even on warm, wet snow.

Yes, climbingskinsdirect.com. I'm not sure what DWR is though?

I will definitely treat the skins now, but I wanted to see how well they
performed without any wax first. They did not compare to my trusty old BDs,
that is for sure.

> One complaint I do have is that snow accumulates between the skin and the
> ski base, specifically at the tip. Is the rubber tip attachment to blame? Or
> perhaps the strip folded over to hold the tip attachment is too wide, so
> that there's not enough glue up front to adhere the skins to the skis.

I'm having this issue as well - another annoyance. I wanted to keep my
fold-over long enough to accommodate other skis in the future (my Volkls are
my shortest and phattest ski), which is creating a catch-all for snow. In
general, the glue on these skins appears to be mediocre. They pull apart
easily from day 1 (good, I guess) but have a tough time sticking to the ski
after run #1, at a range of temperatures. This is a major red flag for me.

Positives are that they are light weight and appear to glide/climb quite
well, although the climbing part could just be because my previous pair of
skins for the Volkls was not truly wall-to-wall.

-eo