To clarify, these machines are always on campus, they are used as part
of an accommodation. basically, they are paired up, and a wireless
network between the two machines is initiated, and the text (from a
"typewell transcriptionist") is sent to the peer laptop, which is
watched by the student. This provides the student with a word by word
account of what is being said in class, and is primarily used by our
hard of hearing and deaf staff/students.

As such, I now see a problem, these machines are almost never connected
to a network (port) and the wireless is configured to only look for the
typewell wireless network, so they cannot connect to cat paws. (we had
problems with network interference, so cat paws and other networks are
all blacklisted on these machines) So, if these machines typically go a
semester or more without being connected to the network, then they may
fall out of the activation period, at which point they are rendered
useless. ( I cannot get past the activation screen, so I am unable to
get a cmd prompt to grab the mac address- I guess I could try a network
boot and then cancel after seeing the mac address...)

I think David's hunch is correct, one of the pages I was just looking at
said vista checks for activation every so often, and there was a
workaround to push that to 120 days using , although that probably
violates the EULA. From tech repub:

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=102&threadID=211858&tag=rbxccnbd1
_______________

Microsoft provides a command-line program in Vista known as the Software
Licensing Manager (SLMGR) or slmgr.vbs.This is a Visual Basic script
that resides in c:\windows\system32. You can read the contents of this
script file with any text editor or a professional development environment.

Among other things, slmgr.vbs has a function that pushes Vista's
activation deadline out to 30 days from the date the command is run.
 From the Vista desktop, take the following steps on a machine on which
Vista hasn't yet been activated:
_______________

If it's the case that Vista needs a network connection more often than
these machines will be connected to a network (I planned to connect them
just once a year to carry out updates) then I will have no choice but to
use XP- which isn't a problem.  It is just a pain to have this
unexpectedly pop up during the last 2 weeks of the semester!

nick

--
Nick Ogrizovich
Adaptive Technology Lab Manager

"When the missionaries first came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said, "Let us pray". We closed our eyes. When we opened them, we had the Bible and they had the land."
-Bishop Desmond Tutu

There are 29 millionaire dogs in the world. While all of these canines have their funds managed in trust, they are the legal benefactors.
-Gullible Info

This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). If this email contains student information and you are not entitled to access such information under FERPA, please notify the sender. Federal regulations require that you destroy this email without reviewing it and you may not forward it to anyone.