Well, I saw a lot of update errors over the weekend, but then I was
disconnected from the Internet for four blessed days in a row.  I expect
that this was a transient problem between NOD32 3.0.650 and the ESET
update mirrors.  It looks as though the problem has resolved itself, but
I'll be keeping an eye on it tomorrow.

To answer the earlier question about incremental build updates, our
reseller assures us that NOD32 will update itself to the most current
build when ESET has marked a build as, for want of a better phrase,
"production quality".  Apparently ESET does not feel that any of the
builds released to date address enough of the current problem base to
"bless" for in-line product updates.  This does not distress me in the
least, as most people who installed our earliest builds (3.0.590) have
been running the product without significant problems.  The interim
builds only were recommended for people experiencing specific problems,
thus there has been no need to shake up the install base with a big
update just yet (as the latest threat engine update failures indicate,
some builds may introduce regression bugs or actually introduce new
problems... sigh!).

Of course, threat definition updates and configuration updates have been
delivered to the client with regularity since we went live at the end of
2007... it is only the build updates that have required manual intervention.

I have seen a number of other unrelated complaints of 64-bit NOD32
install failures over the past few days.  I will look into that
tomorrow.  Sorry for the inconvenience... I do try to test the
installers before letting them loose, but apparently I missed something
again.