Well it's that time of year again. My Math 52 students are finishing up a
Mathematica assignment on RSA encryption. Once they have their encryption and
decryption programs working, they have to exchange encrypted messages (exported
from Mathematica as strings of integers in a .dat file). In past semesters, I
discovered that the Zoo webmail corrupted the files (it added extra line breaks
and spaces), but CEMS webmail was OK. However, this time around, rather than
trying to get everyone to use CEMS webmail to send the files (and having half of
them fail to follow instructions), I decided to have them all use
http://www.uvm.edu/filetransfer/ to send the files. This has worked well, with
the following exception. Occasionally the (two character) recovery key ends with
a period. The recovery URL e-mailed to the recipient looks like this:

https://www.uvm.edu/filetransfer/secure/?file=RSA_from_JaneDoe_to_HelenRead.dat&key=t.

One clicks on the URL in the e-mail, and the period is not picked up as part of
the URL, causing the file recovery to fail. (It works if you type in the period
manually, but the students don't realized to do this.)

I don't know who maintains the filetransfer page, but perhaps they could tweak
it so that periods are not used in the recovery key.

--
HPR