Thanks.

Google gave me the following:

http://forums.wolfram.com/mathgroup/archive/2008/Jan/msg00262.html

Which is a report of McAfee causing the exact same error in Mathematica (so this is not the first time Wolfram has heard of this issue?).

Someone provided the following solution in the same forum:

well, I don't know if it will work for you, but I once had the same
message on linux in 5.2 and the following command (sent to me
privately) in my init.m took care of the prolbem:
JLink`InstallJava`Private`$UILinkProtocol="TCP"
After that everything was in German, which isn't a good sign.