Chris, have you also considered the SONY eReader?  My husband is using
one while we're on sabbatical, and really loves it.

Here's a CNN "Smart Traveller" (Richard Quest) review we caught back
in February.  See especially the fact that Kindle relies on wireless
connectivity.  Our experience thus far says you can get the same books
for either device, despite Amazon's Kindle-centricity.

Enjoy!

Alison

QUEST: Welcome back to CNN BUSINESS TRAVELLER, where I have forsaken
the swimming pool for the delights of the beach and the Pacific Ocean.
There are few places more perfect than the beach for sitting down and
enjoying a good book. And this year, you may be tempted by one of the
new range of eReaders that are on the market, electronic books instead
of the old paperback variety.

We received an enormous number of emails when we reviewed the Sony
eReader and the Amazon Kindle. So much so, we've decided to give you
another chance to see our "Smart Traveller" report.

Kindle and the Reader both work on the same principle. The screen uses
a special process to create the words. It's not a computer, which is
back lit. There's no eye strain. You can read these things for hours.

You push buttons to change the page forwards or back. And until you
change the page, the machine isn't using any power. So a full battery
charge can last days or, in this language, hundreds or thousands of
page turns.

Mention electronic books or eReaders to most people and they'll ramble
on about needing to have the texture of the page or the crinkle of the
turn. Ah, rubbish, I say. We all got used to writing letters and
documents on computers. This is no difference.

With the Sony, you buy and download books using your computer and a
special website. The Kindle has dedicated wireless technology built
in. You can download newspapers, magazines and journals. And because
Kindle comes from Amazon, there are 90,000 titles available. Sony
offers 20,000 instead. But be warned, Kindle's wireless often doesn't
allow you to roam overseas. I failed to connect in two countries.

In the end, you wish each had the advantages of the other. For the
eReader, you'd like to be able to make notes, annotations and have
better management of material. For the Kindle, while it's great for
nonfiction books, but you'd also like it to be sleeker, smarter and
feel less like a computer.

Time to come off the fence. Which do I prefer? Hands down, the Sony
eReader. I've already polished off four or five novels and there's at
least another five in here waiting to begin. This is a great benefit
to my traveling life and I have no hesitation in saying the Sony
eReader is a searing "Smart Traveller" tip.

The Sony eReader and the Amazon Kindle, two of our CNN "Smart
Traveller" road tests.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0802/09/bt.01.html