  _____

From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kathy DeWolfe
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 12:44 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Absentee ballot for new budget

Hi Susan and all,

When a budget is defeated, the school board or selectboard must continue to
present a budget for vote until a budget is passed.  So a vote on a budget
defeat is a continuation of the same election.  It is NOT a new election.

It is the opinion of our office, both Deb and I agree, that a clerk should
treat the absentee ballot request as a request for an absentee ballot at
each vote until the budget is passed.

We have published this in our Opinions newsletter more than once.

Best, Kathy

Kathleen S. DeWolfe
Director of Elections & Campaign Finance
VT Office of the Secretary of State
26 Terrace Street
Montpelier, VT 05609-1101
(802) 828-2304