802-828-5863

From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Michalina Wasung Townshend
Treasurer
Sent: Monday, April 07, 2008 3:25 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: VHFA discounts on assessments

My listers got 2 [somewhat circular & confusing] memos from the Vt
Housing Finance Agency which instruct the listers to reduce the assessed
value of an Assisted Living facility & a Seniror Housing building by
x.x%.  Well, this means that all the other taxpayers in town will have
to make up the reduction etc etc.

I think such information should come from PV&R and not various state
agencies.

This is yet another tax hit for a town wh. already has an Army Corps
Dam, the union high school, a state park and so on.  We can be thankful
that we are not Burlington, Montpelier & Waterbury in this regard.

Where is there the teensiest bit of equity in taxation under this system
which 'equalizes' Grand Lists BUT fails to acknowledge that some
municipalities are becoming more and more burdened by happening to be
located where region-wide services are provided to people in surrounding
towns?

Good grief, we have no clue where this fits into the education tax
scheme.  This buildings are new - people moved in last December  BUT
they did not all come from Townshend.  etc etc.

PV&R can you validate this???

Miki, Townshend Treasurer