Thank you very much Kathy.

Sounds like another "best practice" suggestion to the board to inform the electorate.  We do the voice vote from the floor.  I would love to change it to Australian Ballot.

Jennifer

-----Original Message-----
From: Kathy DeWolfe <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Apr 28, 2008 12:12 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: School Budget Vote - Round 2 help please

Good morning Jennifer et al,

The law is not clear.  While the school board is required under 16 V.S.A. §563 (11) to “prepare and distribute annually a proposed budget for the next school year according to such major categories as may from time to time be prescribed by the commissioner”, the law is silent about requirements for additional information if the budget fails the first time.

In towns that vote budgets from the floor, the board must discuss proposed changes to the budget prior to warning the next budget vote in duly warned school board meetings which the public can attend.  In towns that vote by Australian ballot, there is a public hearing required even under the shortened warning periods allowed by 17 V.S.A. §2680 prior to the vote on the failed budget.

While it is in the interest of the school board to have an informed electorate, the board has had to discuss it proposed changes at its board meeting(s), and the board will also have the opportunity to give both details and rationale to the voters at the special meeting before the vote.

Until a court has considered this issue, we do not see a clear requirement to distribute written materials other than the warning.

Best, Kathy

Kathleen  S. DeWolfe

Director of Elections & Campaign Finance

Office of the Secretary of State

26 Terrace St.

Montpelier, VT 05609-1101

(802) 828-2304