>http://www.latimes.com/news/custom/scimedemail/la-sci-collider13apr13,0,5535244.story
>
>From the Los Angeles Times
>
>New atom-smasher could fill gaps in scientific knowledge -- or open
>a black hole
>
>Europe's enormous $8-billion particle accelerator, to be activated
>as early as this summer, is generating both excitement and fear.
>
>By John Johnson Jr.
>Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
>
>April 13, 2008
>
>GENEVA - Michelangelo L. Mangano, a respected particle physicist who
>helped discover the top quark in 1995, now spends most days trying
>to convince people that his new machine won't destroy the world.

,,,

>"Look," Mangano said, leaning forward in his chair at CERN's
>sprawling complex, "what if I told you tomorrow when you shave you
>will blow up the world? You laugh. You say that can't happen. But
>how do you know?
>
>"The only thing we know is that there have been about a million
>billion shaves since people started shaving and the world is still
>here," he said. "So all we can say is the probability of you blowing
>up the world when you shave tomorrow is less than one in 10^15."

	No mechanism has been even vaguely envisaged for the world to
be upblown by a person's shaving.  But, at least according to Wagner,
a mechanism has been vaguely envisaged for the planet to be severely
damaged by a new mini-blackhole produced on its surface. Mangano's
last furphy is dishonest.
Let's have a scientific answer, not trickery with misleading stats.

RM