Michael Balter wrote:
  > President Raul Castro's decision to rescind prohibitions against Cubans
> owning high-tech and energy-consuming appliances has sparked
> expectations here, and abroad, that more fundamental change is on the
> horizon aimed at freeing Cubans from the shackles of a planned economy
> that imposes on most a daily struggle for subsistence.

Now if I were a journalism professor, I'd ask my class to unpack this
paragraph and explain what connection is made--if any--between planning
and subsistence. The underlying assumption is that planning is bad. When
a government allocates resources rationally, it leads to poverty. I find
that the level of unexamined assumptions in the bourgeois press stunning
on all levels.