fyi

Best,

Michael

Begin forwarded message:
From: Jamie Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date: April 17, 2008 2:44:43 PM PDT
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Event Invite Aprill 22nd 10:30 a.m.

Please join the Center for American Progress for a special presentation:

Geneticizing Disease: Implications for Racial Health Disparities

Featured Panelists:
Meredith King, Health Policy Analyst, Center for American Progress

Mildred Thompson, Senior Director and Director of the PolicyLink Center for Health and Place

Dorothy Roberts, Kirkland and Ellis Professor, Northwestern University Law School. Currently a fellow at Stanford University's Research Institute of Comparative Studiess in Race and Ethnicity focusing on "Race Consciousness in Law, Politics, and Biotechnology."

Moderated by:
Jamie Brooks, Project Director on Race, Health, and Justice, Generations Ahead (formerly a program of the Center for Genetics and Society)

Today's dialogue in medical journals and the mainstream press on health disparities in American society increasingly focuses on individuals' genetic predispositions to disease. More and more, race is interjected into this dialogue as scientists link genes of certain racial groups to medical conditions while pharmaceutical companies increasingly seek to medicate those conditions. Unfortunately, during this process the focus on reducing and preventing racial health disparities which in large part can be attributed to social determinants becomes obscured.

The Center for American Progress and Generations Ahead will explore these trends and their implications for addressing racial health disparities by hosting a public dialogue. Meredith King, co-author of "Geneticizing Disease: Implications for Racial Health Disparities," which will be released at the event, will provide an overview of the issue and the paper's findings. Law professor Dorothy  Roberts will follow with a legal and racial perspective on the implications of "geneticizing" disease. And in closing, Mildred Thompson will discuss the known non-medical determinants of health, such as environment, insurance status, and other socio-economic factors. Jamie D. Brooks, co-author of the paper, will moderate the discussion to follow.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008
Program: 10:30am to 12:00pm
Admission is free.

The Greenlining Institute
1918 University Avenue, 2nd Floor
Berkeley, CA 94704
For more information, please call 202-682-1611.

Parking: There are metered parking places along University Avenue. Parking is also available in the Promenade Parking Garage, 1936 Addison Street, directly behind our building.

The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan research and educational institute dedicated to promoting a strong, just and free America that ensures opportunity for all. We believe that Americans are bound together by a common commitment to these values and we aspire to ensure that our national policies reflect these values. We work to find progressive and pragmatic solutions to significant domestic and international problems and develop policy proposals that foster a government that is "of the people, by the people, and for the people."