From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Claudia Hemphill Pine
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2008 4:40 PM
Subject: Re: Autism Day

Oh, Alex -- please don't quit. Just mark the persons whose repetitive, egotistical flaming most annoy you as spam, so you never see their posts again. Or continue to work around them as we all try to do, and get some amusement from their atavism.

And also remember that "Quitting a list because one doesn't agree with what one or two people on it say is like cancelling a magazine subscription because an article appears that you don't agree with" is a complete misrepresentation, in line with many.  It's more like "cancelling a magazine subscription because one of the writers reprints the same damn self-promoting rant in every issue!  Sometimes 5 times PER issue."

So yeah, I totally sympathize with your fatigue at the Drama Queen pointlessness, the passive-aggressive  rhetoric that picks fights by intentionally misrepresenting others, labeling them, and so forth.  I rarely read SftP lately, beyond reposted news I haven't seen.  I have many more things to do than indulge attention-seekers who try to dominate through volume and repetitiousness, instead of advancing through solidarity.

If I've learned anything in my years on this list it's a profound respect for the stalwarts like Herb and Carrol who've continued to be positive for decades, using calmness and reason to outlast the "tempest in a teacup" types who join, criticize everyone, stir up some good thinking and much bad will, and usually flame out in a few years (or move on to new markets not yet saturated by such approaches).   I stay to learn from them, and shrug or avoid or duck the adolescents who mistake their own smoke for fire.

In solidarity,

Claudia