It only matters if you want to get the details of the science right. The early studies confirming the link between DDT and bird deaths tested for the presence of DDE in eggs. DDE also appears to be the causal agent responsible for eggshell thinning by inhibiting prostaglandin synthesis in birds' uteruses, thereby disrupting calcium transport in the eggshell gland.

I posted links to two excellent recent articles about Rachel Carsons before, but here they are again:

http://monthlyreview.org/080201foster-clark.php
http://www.isreview.org/issues/57/feat-rachelcarson.shtml

--PG