Claudia:

More topics from a seminar in chemistry course in which they get to choose a
not hard science presentation.

Larry Romsted

1.  General Topic: Science and Society
New York Times Science Section on Tuesdays, Washington Post, Science,
Nature, Scientific American, New Yorker, The Economist, Web:
http://www.idebate.org/debatabase/

Some example themes
€ Global Warming: What should be done ­ if anything?
€ Sale of Human Organs: Should it be legal?
€ Partial Birth Abortion
€ Biodiversity and Endangered Species
Should we be trying to prevent species becoming extinct? If so, why?
€ Creationism vs Evolution: Should schools be allowed/required/encouraged to
teach creationism alongside
    evolution as part of their science curriculum?
€ Emergency Contraception: Should the morning-after pill be banned?
€ Energy Crisis: Nuclear vs Renewable Sources
(Is nuclear power the best way to meet the ever-increasing energy needs of
the planet, are alternative energy sources provide a viable alternative?)
€ Gene Patenting. Should genes be patented?
€ Genetically Modified Food
Environmental, moral, or health issues associated with genetically modified
food?
€ Human Cloning
Should human cloning be banned ? Should reproductive human cloning always be
prohibited?
€ Is there life on Mars?
€ Mobile Telephones: Banning of Use in Cars
€ Should Physical Education in schools be compulsory?
€ Drug programs (DARE, etc) ­ a good idea? Legalize recreational drugs?
€ Science: a Threat to Society?
On balance, does science have more potential for ³good² or ³bad²?
€ Space Exploration: a worthwhile investment?
€ Stem Cell Research / Therapeutic Cloning
Should medical research involving the use of human stem cells be permitted?
€ Vaccinations: Should they be legally compulsory?
€ Do cell phones cause brain cancer?
€ What factors determine sexual orientation (genetics?Š) Sexual identity?
Autism?
€ Drugs for treatment of psychiatric health ­ where to draw the line?
€ Meteors (should we be doing something about them)?
€ The ³hydrogen economy². Is it a hoax? What are the costs/benefits?
€ Crime: why have rates been falling over the past 20 years?
€ Terrorism: from the scientific perspective.
€ Reduced meat consumption: an essential requirement for sustainable
agriculture?
€ Human natureŠŠ.

€  Chemical and Biological weapons
€  Intelligence Tests: valid or not?
€  SAT tests:  valid or not?
€  Social Responsibility of Scientists, do we have any?
€  How does Corporate Funding affect Academic Freedom?
€  Various chemical disasters, e.g., Bopal, Exxon Valdez (Alaska), etc.
€  Advertising based on chemistry, valid or not?
€  Nanotechnology, what are we talking about?
€  Is class size important in learning?, how do you know?