Early this morning as I was outside getting ready to feed the birds, just
north of Bishop Road in Shelburne, I heard a new sound and looked out back
to see a SANDHILL CRANE fly by south over Beaver Creek here in Shelburne,
continuing his calling on the way.
What a great new yard bird!
I took the car down to Bishop Road to see if it might stop at the large
open field there just south of Bishop Road and just west of the flooded
Beaver Creek, and I did continue to see it there for a bit longer, walking
in the field and checking/feeding along the creek edge in a couple
different spots by the field. It then took off flying east south east in
the general direction of Shelburne Pond (and Dorset Street), so not sure
where it went next. Two other birders tried to find/follow the bird in that
direction pretty soon after it left, but without any luck.

Sorry I was slow in getting this out about this morning; and now I see that
Eric saw the crane along Dorset Street headed north early this afternoon!
Will be interesting to see if it sticks around in this general area somewhere.
Larry Haugh
Shelburne