Well, I went out into the woods hoping to hear that mystery bird
again, but it wasn't singing at the moment.

Still trying to figure out what bird I heard on Sunday singing Treat
treat treeeeeeeeee tre'-et with tone lower and slower than a typical
warbler's and more sweet and crisp as well.  I listened to all the
warbler songs online but it wasn't like any of those.  The call was
also consistent, so not likely a juvenile tuning up.

Nonetheless, I heard a wonderful racket of tapping and spied a female
HAIRY WOODPECKER (I think. Looked bigger than a Hairy but no red on
the head) working determinedly on one spot on a dead trunk.  So I
will revisit that site to see what's happening.  A louder hollow
tapping ensued from another tree not too far on as I walked back
out.  It remains to be discovered if it was the same bird or
another.  The chickadees were everywhere out there.

Back home a female DOWNY WOODPECKER came to the feeder shortly after
a rainshower passed through.  CHICKADEES, BLUEJAYS, CARDINALS,
REDWINGED BLACKBIRDS abounded, and a lone JUNCO foraging beneath the
lilac bushes.

I heard some bird offering a hollow-reed-like single note, usually
three times but sometimes two or four.  It was raining or I would
have gone out to seek.

A SHARP-SHINNED HAWK made the rounds overhead, then moved on.

Our bird boxes are still unoccupied.  How about yours?

~ June in Jericho