Well, spring birds are back in Calais despite the fact that there is still
snow on most of the fields in and around Maple Corner. Red-winged blackbirds
here for at least a week; a pair of Common Snipe playing along the side of
the road last evening and then a pair in mating postures this morning just
off the road in the snow - they provided great looks at a bird that I
usually only see in a flash flying for cover after I flush it in a field.
Then - yay- last night I heard the first Woodcock of the season in my yard,
which for me is the true herald of spring. I've been listening for days now.
I still had a flock of Pine Grosbeaks last Sunday and a very large flock of
Redpolls the last few days cleaning out my feeders. Robins are everywhere
and singing late for the last three nights. A pair of flickers were also
foraging at the edges of the melting snow fields this morning. Yesterday the
first but still lone tree swallow was back on the wire. More to follow in a
few days - just as it happens every year. We do have to wait a long time for
spring to come up here, but then it seems to come in quite the rush! I love
it...Happy birding.