This has been the first year when we haven't had American Goldfinch for
most of the year.  Our last sighting was December 1, 2007 to April 7,
2008.  Then it was only one male.  Again, one male on April 18 and 19th.
Also had one Purple Finch today and that was the only one since October
22, 2007.  We don't seem to get many Purple Finches here, but
Goldfinches we are used to seeing many at the feeders, so the fact that
they have been absent for so long seems very strange to me.

Richard Harlow
Milton, VT
Arrowhead Lake