        Another report to add to what sounds like a sad trend, one of our farmer neighbors on Peth Road in Randolph reported finding a dead owl in their barn about a week ago.  Described as likely a Barred, and may be the one we had observed roosting on their property a couple of times in March.
  Rick Enser, Braintree

Jane Stein <[log in to unmask]> wrote:   Boy, that's just what I've been wondering. For the last month,
my cat has easily been catching one or two voles a day as the
snow cover has gradually receded. The only thing I can think of
is that perhaps by the time the rodents had become more
accessible, the owls were already in such poor condition that
they couldn't catch them.

Jane
Shoreham