As reported from our walk around Hildene in Manchester today, there was a Bonaparte Gull.  Now we don't see too many gulls in passing, mostly Ringbills, so I was pretty excited about this guy.  However, the head coloring was totally gray - not black, nor in transition from mottled winter to breeding black.  None of my bird guides show a gray headed bird.  We even discussed whether this was a trick of the light, but even in flight, the bird's head coloring was the solid gray of the wings.  Can someone comment about this, please?

The beautiful, leading white edge coloring on wings seemed to extend into the body past the 'elbow', dark, thin bill, red/pink legs, all white tail.....

Other interesting sightings:

7 male Wood Ducks to 1 female - Bullhead Pond, E. Dorset  (doesn't seem like that's a particularly good ratio!)
3 male Hooded Mergs, 1 female  "

Juncos - over 60 in my yard on Fri.

Fox Sparrow - going on day 4.  Even tuned me in to his song again

Ruth STewart
E Dorset
http://green.msn.com/galleries/photos/photos.aspx?gid=164&ocid=T003MSN51N1653A