Last evening I went to Porter Hospital for my annual Woodcock search and did manage to observe one peenting and making a single display flight. I also spotted a large flock of ducks in a flooded field to the south of the Hospital, mostly made up of Green-winged Teal.

This morning I drove a mile further down South St. Ext. to get a better view of the flooded field. The highlights there were three Northern Shovelers, three Eastern Meadowlarks, and having a Savannah Sparrow nearly land on my head while I was peering through my scope.

Below are my e-bird reports from last night and this morning.

Ron Payne
Middlebury, VT

Location:     Porter Hospital
Observation date:     4/17/08
Notes:     Ducks in flooded field 1/2 mile north of Hospital.<br>
Number of species:     20

Canada Goose     25
American Black Duck     2
Mallard     7
Blue-winged Teal     2
Green-winged Teal     74
Common Merganser     2
American Woodcock     1
Rock Pigeon     1
Mourning Dove     2
Hairy Woodpecker     1
Northern Flicker     1
Blue Jay     1
American Crow     27
American Robin     1
European Starling     9
Song Sparrow     4
Northern Cardinal     2
Red-winged Blackbird     2
Common Grackle     4
House Sparrow     2

Location:     South St. Extention
Observation date:     4/18/08
Notes:     Flooded field 1.1 mi. by road from Hospital.
Number of species:     19

Canada Goose     16
Wood Duck     6
American Black Duck     2