Pine Elfin? That green tinge though hmm. Unless it is a trick of the light. Since they are related to Hairstreaks the wing shifting is a shared behavior. Any White Pines nearby? Kevin
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Martha Pfeiffer<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
  To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
  Sent: Sunday, April 20, 2008 7:43 PM
  Subject: [VTLEPS] HELP with ID

  This butterfly was on the trail at Equinox Preserve
  (Manchester) near the pond in a wooded area.  I had no
  camera, no net, binoculars that don't have close
  range.  The butterfly settled on the trail, appeared
  to shift wings back and forth like a hairstreak. I
  approached on all fours, creeping closer and closer
  then in a sudden swoop I caught it in my hand.
  Unfortunately, it was quite mangled.  These are the
  photos I took at home.  It starts to disintegrate when
  I try to open it up so I"m hoping there are enough
  clues here to get an identification.

  Also on the trail were several Mourning Cloaks and one
  anglewing.

  Martha