From: Wesley Alan Wright [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 02:54 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SKIVT-L] Partee story - told to a different audience

Thanks for coming, Denis! It's always fun skiing with three generations of Bogan/Baumans. Hopefully we'll be doing a lot of that soon, once you retire from space science. Nice concise off-site report, too. However, one historical correction. You said: Some of the 40 people ducking the rope at the top of Goat; http://www.kevinbroderick.com/gallery/v/Sports/skivt- l08/20080412_MG_8821.jpg.html WHile I am amazed that, considering I was choosing the route for most of the descents, I can't recognize many of the places where Ben and Kevin's photos were shot, I do recognize that one. It is the top of "Old National," the original trail. That entrance has been officially closed ever since they built the Lookout Double around 1978, and bulldozed the cat track from there to Lift Line, brutally slashing across the original trails. This rcontouring officially closed upper National and Lift Line, since they now terminate in small ledge drops onto a busy traverse with blind openings. Only in the last year or so have I seen the rope there occasionally missing, indicating that it might actually be a real trail again -- much like pper Lift Line has made a recent comeback. It certainly skis better than it did, say, 10 years ago -- somebody has cleaned up some (but not all) of the 30 years of forest progression and regeneration. On Apr 16, 2008, at 9:26 AM, Denis Bogan wrote: > http://www.dcski.com/ubbthreads33/ubbthreads.php? > ubb=showflat&Number=43956#Post43956 > > Thanks to everyone, especially Wes and the photographers. > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - > SkiVt-L is brought to you by the University of Vermont. > To unsubscribe, visit http://list.uvm.edu/archives/skivt-l.html > ----------------------------------------------------------------------- | Wesley Alan Wright [log in to unmask]>| | Academic Computing Services __0__ | | Room 407 Lafayette Building / \ | \ | | University of Vermont \77 | | Burlington, Vermont 05405-0160 USA. \\ http://www.uvm.edu/skivt-l | | Voice:802-656-1254 FAX:802-???-???? vv | | aim:goim?screenname=maddogskideath http://www.uvm.edu/~waw/ | - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - SkiVt-L is brought to you by the University of Vermont. To unsubscribe, visit http://list.uvm.edu/archives/skivt-l.html
[log in to unmask]> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - SkiVt-L is brought to you by the University of Vermont.