>(Don't assume that your 1990
reefer will die of it's own accord to be replaced by something more
efficient before 2040- I know of a handful of '60s & 70s vintage
refrigerators whose owners seem happy, since it meets their needs and
are "still going strong after all these years".  I think of them as
electric space-heaters.)<

I replaced my 1950s fridge several years ago with a new "energy star" rated one and was thoroughly disappointed.  With it's small cooling unit that runs all the time and frost free freezer it actually uses more energy and is much noisier.  Occasionally I will ask an appliance salesperson about more efficient alternatives and all I get is a blank stare or they show me the same thing I already have. (With all the latest features.) Does anybody around here sell a true efficiency model?  I know you can have them shipped from California or Scandinavia but that gets a little pricey.  The old one is still in my basement and still runs.  If it didn't look so shabby I would bring it back up and throw out the new one.
Chris