---Forwarded Message---

*World War II Prisoner of War to Speak at WW II Event in Derby on June 14*

Francis Angier of Williston,  a former World War II prisoner of war
(POW) who lived for a time in Newport, will serve as the guest speaker
at an event to recognize the veterans of World War II. The "Salute to
the Veterans of World War II" will take place on Saturday, June 14 at
the Elks Lodge in Derby at 1
pm.

Scott and Penny Wheeler and their family of Derby, along with the Elks
Lodge in Derby, will host the event at the  Elks Lodge on the Derby Road
in Derby. This event is free and open to the public.  Last year the
Wheelers hosted the Korean/Vietnam War Veterans Recognition Day. They
were joined in this effort by the Elks and VFW Post 798 in Newport. Also
in recent years the Wheelers joined others to help raise money to send
veterans of World War II to the then-recently unveiled monument to that
war in Washington, D.C. The family is also the owner of Vermont's
Northland
Journal.

During WW II  the B-17 bomber that Angier was piloting on a bombing
mission over Germany was shot down by enemy fire. Bailing out of his
crashing plane, he was severely injured in a hard landing. Angier was
captured and taken as a prisoner of war by the Wehrmacht (German Army).
The following is a short excerpt from the book the retired military
officer wrote, "Ready or Not: Into the Wild Blue". It shows what greeted
he and the other surviving crew members of the plane when they
parachuted to the German
countryside.

"A party of about 20 people started down the hill after the bombs went
off. The first people to reach me called me names and yanked me to a
sitting position in the road, kicked me repeatedly and when they had
knocked me over, stomped on me, some of them shouted with sarcasm and
anger, liberator! Terrortlieger! Gangster bastard!..."

The villagers handed their captives over to the Wehrmacht . It was the
beginning of Angier's life as a POW and his struggle to stay
alive.

A number of other people plan to speak at the event, including veterans
and people who survived the horrors of growing up in a war torn
countries during the war. Veterans and non-veterans are encouraged to
attend.

As with last year's event, the salute to the veterans who served in WWII
will not only serve as a time to honor them, but it will also provide
the veterans with the opportunity to share with us their stories and
mementos of this horrible war.  Tables will be available for veterans to
display their reminders of a war that helped shape their lives.

People with questions, or wishing to donate to the event, can contact
Scott Wheeler at (802) 334-5920 or by e-mail at
[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

---End of Forwarded Message---