The summary:

Thursday yielded amazing looks at a Kingfisher, but little else.

Friday didn't yield anything

Saturday was a whole other story involving a Barred Owl in rehab
which had decided it had had enough of flying lessons

Sunday was Herrick's Cove festival with (distant and not very good)
photos of red-necked grebes and much better pictures of Chipping and
Song Sparrows & FOY Yellow Warlber and Rough-Winged Swallows.

Today was a two-grosbeak species day: this morning, a FOY
rose-breasted grosbeak showed up on our feeders; a few hours later
there was a pair of evening grosbeaks.  I didn't get any photos of
the rosebreasted, but I did okay with the evenings.

Also today I heard what I'm certain were American Redstarts at Allen
Brothers Marsh.

Still no Orioles or Hummingbirds, but I'm impatient.

MON, MAY 5, 2008:
------------------

Male Evening Grosbeak on feeder poles: [Mon, May 5, 2008]

High bandwidth URL: http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?pic=3313

Low bandwidth URL:  http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/index-simple.php?pic=3313

Female Evening Grosbeak on tray feeder: [Mon, May 5, 2008]

High bandwidth URL: http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?pic=3314

Low bandwidth URL:  http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/index-simple.php?pic=3314

SUN, MAY 4, 2008
------------------
Yellow warbler, first of the year for me. [Sun, May 4, 2008, Rockingham, VT]

High bandwidth URL: http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?pic=3312

Low bandwidth URL:  http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/index-simple.php?pic=3312

------------------

The Red-necked grebe is something I've been looking for for some
time, so it was a major surprise to see a flock of three of them so
close to home.   They were very distant, so this was the best picture
I could come up with, but at least I was able to document the
sighting. [Sun, May 4, 2008, Rockingham, VT]

High bandwidth URL: http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?pic=3311

Low bandwidth URL:  http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/index-simple.php?pic=3311

------------------

Chipping Sparrow [Sun, May 4, 2008, Rockingham, VT]

High bandwidth URL: http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?pic=3310

Low bandwidth URL:  http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/index-simple.php?pic=3310

------------------

Song sparrow [Sun, May 4, 2008, Rockingham, VT]

High bandwidth URL: http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?pic=3309

Low bandwidth URL:  http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/index-simple.php?pic=3309

------------------

Rough-winged swallow in flight with reflection in water. [Sun, May 4,
2008, Rockingham, VT]

High bandwidth URL: http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?pic=3308

Low bandwidth URL:  http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/index-simple.php?pic=3308

------------------

Rough-winged swallow in flight. [Sun, May 4, 2008, Rockingham, VT]

High bandwidth URL: http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?pic=3307

Low bandwidth URL:  http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/index-simple.php?pic=3307

------------------

SAT, MAY 3, 2008
------------------
Evening grosbeak, flying into feeder. [Sat, May 3, 2008, Williamsville, VT]

High bandwidth URL: http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?pic=3306

Low bandwidth URL:  http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/index-simple.php?pic=3306

------------------

Evening grosbeak perched on feeder. [Sat, May 3, 2008, Williamsville, VT]

High bandwidth URL: http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?pic=3305

Low bandwidth URL:  http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/index-simple.php?pic=3305

------------------

Evening grosbeak at feeder, ready to take flight. [Sat, May 3, 2008,
Williamsville, VT]

High bandwidth URL: http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?pic=3304

Low bandwidth URL:  http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/index-simple.php?pic=3304

------------------

Evening grosbeaks at feeder, male perched and female in flight. [Sat,
May 3, 2008, Williamsville, VT]

High bandwidth URL: http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?pic=3303

Low bandwidth URL:  http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/index-simple.php?pic=3303

------------------

Evening grosbeaks at feeder. [Sat, May 3, 2008, Williamsville, VT]

High bandwidth URL: http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?pic=3302

Low bandwidth URL:  http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/index-simple.php?pic=3302

------------------

So this was amazing: the door to the barn had been left open when we
were being shown this barred owl because it, theoretically, wasn't
ready to be off on its own yet and still needed some work to get to
the point where it could fly on its own.  Suddenly, it jumped out
from its cage, and over our heads, flying off into a nearby tree.
Clearly, it didn't need more help to be able to fly on its own.  I
was able to get a few shots of it sitting in the tree before it flew
further away, and this was the best by far. [Sat, May 3, 2008,
Williamsville, VT]

High bandwidth URL: http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?pic=3301

Low bandwidth URL:  http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/index-simple.php?pic=3301

------------------

We were dropping off a bird to be rehabbed when the rehabber asked if
we wanted to see the barred owl he'd be working on.  This photo is of
it its box. [Sat, May 3, 2008, Williamsville, VT]

High bandwidth URL: http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?pic=3300

Low bandwidth URL:  http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/index-simple.php?pic=3300

------------------

THU, MAY 1, 2008
------------------
I love this shot in particular because it captures the kingfisher
from an angle I've never had before. [Thu, May 1, 2008, Allen
Brothers Marsh, Westminster, VT]

High bandwidth URL: http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?pic=3299

Low bandwidth URL:  http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/index-simple.php?pic=3299

------------------

Belted kingfisher. [Thu, May 1, 2008, Allen Brothers Marsh, Westminster, VT]

High bandwidth URL: http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?pic=3298

Low bandwidth URL:  http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/index-simple.php?pic=3298

------------------

Belted kingfisher. [Thu, May 1, 2008, Allen Brothers Marsh, Westminster, VT]

High bandwidth URL: http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?pic=3297

Low bandwidth URL:  http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/index-simple.php?pic=3297

------------------

Sometimes, a kingfisher will just stand in a tree for the longest
time while I photograph it.  This one hung out for at least five
minutes.  I got hundreds of pictures, but this is one of the best by
far. [Thu, May 1, 2008, Allen Brothers Marsh, Westminster, VT]

High bandwidth URL: http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?pic=3296

Low bandwidth URL:  http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/index-simple.php?pic=3296

------------------

Common grackle, perched. [Thu, May 1, 2008]

High bandwidth URL: http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?pic=3295

Low bandwidth URL:  http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/index-simple.php?pic=3295

------------------

Common grackle, gathering nest material. [Thu, May 1, 2008]

High bandwidth URL: http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?pic=3294

Low bandwidth URL:  http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/index-simple.php?pic=3294

------------------

It is definitely that time of the year again: common grackles are
doing their mating displays and building nests.   This one I managed
to catch in mid-display. [Thu, May 1, 2008]

High bandwidth URL: http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?pic=3293

Low bandwidth URL:  http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/index-simple.php?pic=3293

------------------

WED, APR 30, 2008
------------------
Muskrat, hanging out in the marsh [Wed, Apr 30, 2008, Allen Brothers
Marsh, Westminster, VT]

High bandwidth URL: http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?pic=3292

Low bandwidth URL:  http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/index-simple.php?pic=3292

------------------

MON, APR 28, 2008
------------------
During a dreary and rainy day, it was hard to get anything done,
photo-wise.  This picture of a Northern flicker at Allen Brothers
Marsh (first I've ever seen one there) was the best I could do. [Mon,
Apr 28, 2008, Allen Brothers Marsh, Westminster, VT]

High bandwidth URL: http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?pic=3291

Low bandwidth URL:  http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/index-simple.php?pic=3291

------------------

SUN, APR 27, 2008
------------------
Yellow-rumped warbler, taking flight. [Sun, Apr 27, 2008, Rockingham, VT]

High bandwidth URL: http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?pic=3290

Low bandwidth URL:  http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/index-simple.php?pic=3290

------------------

There was a decent sized flock of yellow warblers all flitting about
a distant tree when suddenly several of them flew directly overhead
and into a tree right by the car.  That's how I finally managed to
get decent pictures of them. [Sun, Apr 27, 2008, Rockingham, VT]

High bandwidth URL: http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?pic=3289

Low bandwidth URL:  http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/index-simple.php?pic=3289

------------------

Yellow-rumped warbler, first I've seen at Herrick's Cove this year.
[Sun, Apr 27, 2008, Rockingham, VT]

High bandwidth URL: http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?pic=3288

Low bandwidth URL:  http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/index-simple.php?pic=3288

------------------

I spotted this osprey flying more than once before I was finally able
to get a clear photo of it.  Unfortunately, backlighting, reduces the
quality of the shot no matter the clarity of the look. [Sun, Apr 27,
2008, Rockingham, VT]

High bandwidth URL: http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?pic=3287

Low bandwidth URL:  http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/index-simple.php?pic=3287

------------------

Not by any means one of my better green heron photos, but still good
to document the first on I've seen this year. [Sun, Apr 27, 2008,
Rockingham, VT]

High bandwidth URL: http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?pic=3286

Low bandwidth URL:  http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/index-simple.php?pic=3286

------------------

Palm Warbler, part of a large flock of them that were flitting all
over the place as we walked through the cove.  This, by the way, is
probably the best photo of a palm warbler I've ever taken. [Sun, Apr
27, 2008, Rockingham, VT]

High bandwidth URL: http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?pic=3285

Low bandwidth URL:  http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/index-simple.php?pic=3285

------------------

A pair of Savannah Sparrows, hanging out on a tree stump. [Sun, Apr
27, 2008, Rockingham, VT]

High bandwidth URL: http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?pic=3284

Low bandwidth URL:  http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/index-simple.php?pic=3284

SAT, APR 26, 2008