For those of you who are in withdrawals and looking for something fun to
do this summer:
Night birding!

It's time for the Whip-poor-will survey, and there are survey routes
that need volunteers. Anyone can participate; the call of the
Whip-poor-will is easily recognized!

Vermont takes part in this standardized survey effort each year to count
Nightjars from Maine to Florida. Now in its third year, the Nightjar
survey project is mapping and monitoring the distribution of
Whip-poor-wills (in Vermont) and other Nightjars. These species are
declining throughout some or all of their range. The surveys collect
baseline information about the distribution and abundance of these
species - the first important step towards establishing a conservation
strategy.

The survey consists of stops along a road route, and it will require two
of your evenings, about 2 hours per evening. The first survey window is
coming up, 15-28 May. The second survey window is 11-26 June. The routes
that need coverage are in:

Vernon
Guilford
Salisbury
Peacham
Bennington
Hinesburg
Rutland

If you're interested in helping out, please let me know what route you
can help with, and I'll send details right away.

Cheers,
Rosalind

--
Rosalind Renfrew, PhD