It was a great morning for our first of three May bird walks on the grounds
of Hildene in Manchester. 17 people attended, 3 groups were made and the
habitats covered included meadows, forest and wetlands.

Blue Jays in large flocks seen at several times during our walk, with a
large group of 22 just as the meadows group was leaving.

Best viewings of the morning:

One of the Great Crested Flycatchers was putting on a great lesson of how to
ID it by giving clear views, several poses, front and back along with calls
to boot!

Two Ovenbirds were showing aggressive displays as the group approached on
one of the trails, offering great views and their classic call.

Common Yellowthroat also gave great views, just 4-5 feet from the group, as
it gathered bugs.

Our next walk will be two Saturdays from today, on May 24th at 7a.m.

Randy Schmidt
The Vermont Bird Place & Sky Watch