Dear Janet,

The only real populations I have seen of Purple Martins in Vermont
have been near the large bodies of water.  So, I have seen them in the
Champlain Valley near Lake Champlain, and also near Lake
Memphramagog.  I have occasionally seen them in other places,
including our property in Jericho.  Back thirty years ago, we also put
up a martin box, and even had some look at it once.  Now it is a
monstrous, heavy bulky thing (I think my husband built it out of iron)
that took us forever to get up, and will only come down now if chopped
or blown.  It has only attracted starlings I am afraid after the first
few years of having some Tree Sparrows in it. So, I wish you better
luck.  Evergreen in Jericho