Hi all,

Every year I feel sheepish doing this - but if you kind bird people out
there would like to make a donation (however small) to my waterfowl
rehabilitation facility (the only one in the State, as far as I know),
the little ones will benefit greatly.  The current count is five Canada
goslings, two mallard ducklings, one common merganser duckling, and ten
wood ducklings. And it is not even June yet. Yikes. Your donations will
go to buy mealworms, fish pellets, and dry insects for the woodies, tiny
fish for the merganser, and gamebird crumble for the geese.

If you are interested how they all ended up here: the mother Canada
goose got spooked away because of large dog. Six hours later, she had
still not returned to guide her chicks to water. Another gosling was
being 'abused' by teenagers by prompting of their parents who said it
was 'payback' for the adult geese eating the corn in their field. The
two mallard ducklings were the last survivors of a dog attack, and the
mother of the nine wood ducks was killed by a car. Three other ducklings
perished also.

Many of you sent kind donations last year - if I somehow missed thanking
you - please accept my thanks now.  My hope is that all these little
ones will be released by late summer, once they are feathered and able
to fly.

Thanks and regards,

Helena Nicolay
State and Federally Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator
96 Charlotte St
Burlington, VT 05401